Tuesday, November 3, 2015

First day at my internship

Oh golly how should I start this?
Well today was my first day at my internship and I wasn't expecting to do much but I literally did nothing. All I did was sit there and watch my 'teacher' do all the work. I couldn't even help sanitize the rooms. My so called 'teacher' was a medical assistant who's been doing this for almost 20 years so she has a lot of experience. However she seemed dull. She really had no expression and she was monotone. I saw her pictures and she was smiling so I'm a bit baffled. I tried to tell myself that the first day isn't all sugar plums and sunshine. I guess I was just expecting a little too much from an internship. 


Okay enough with the negativity.. I got to see so many babies! I even got to see new born baby twin boys which filled my heart with warmth. Sadly most of the babies I've seen today needed shots so I expected them to cry. They did better then a 4 year old getting her kindergarten physical and shots.. Boy did she scream.. My eardrums nearly bled. At least she got a lollipop and a free book. 
A young boy walked in because of hypertension (high blood pressure) when really he had low blood pressure. His complaint was that every time he gets up he gets dizzy. I asked if he drinks enough water and funny I mentioned, he doesn't drink much water at all so I think I solved someones concern at least. 

I kept thinking to myself if I was being too friendly with the staff because they all seemed stiff. I thought to myself maybe I need to harden up a bit and not be 'too friendly' because I got this "you're a total weirdo' vibe from the medical assistant. It's just who I am and I can't help it. I'm just going to stick through it and not let it get to me.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the strange world of work! You'll find, throughout your life, that not all, not even most people are very excited about life, especially that chunk of life one spends at work. Don't let it get you down - stay chipper, interested, active; ask lots of questions, find a way to connect with the folks who're doing more important work (nurses, doctors) and ignore the grumpy medical assistants. Remember, anyone who's done medical assisting for 20 years got a dead end job, and then stuck with it. You don't want to be that. So make it your mission to bring more joy and enthusiasm to the place!

    ReplyDelete