Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Obstetric nurses

Recently my mother and I had a conversation about obstetrics. I've always had a fondness for babies and of course having a lot of siblings, I do fairly well with new born babies (from experience.) I did some researched and luckily there is obstetric nursing. They're also referred to as OB nurses. They assist doctors in caring for women during pregnancies and childbrith (they must specialize delivery of babies.)  What's awesome about this feild is that you only need your associates degree in nursing. 2 years and just some follow up training and move into the obstetrics department.



They often work in the labor and delivery department in hospitals, health clinics, or doctors' offices. They work as a team of caregivers. They NEED to listen and take directions carefully. Attention to detail, patience, and the ability to handle stress are super important. Strong communication skills are critical for succeeding in nursing careers. 

Common duties: 
. Preparing delivery rooms
. Prepping patients
. Sterilizing and preparing instruments
. Caring for babies immediatly after birth
. Explaining after-birth care to new parents

This would be an amazing experience for me because I love kids. To me the gift of life is beautiful. My mom thinks I could handle the good part if this job. Good as in the baby is healthy and stays alive and so does the mother. In most cases the baby could have heart failure or they might be premature or really anything. In other words the baby might not survive. 
I could always try and if it doesn't work out, I can always try a different department. 



SALARY: $42,800 - $86,010






No comments:

Post a Comment